For my mother, I would like to distinguish between a "groupie" and a "fan."
Groupies follow bands around, to most or all of their shows. Groupies do things like hang out backstage or wait by the bus so they can connect with the band. Groupies know (or think they know) everything about all of the music and all of the band members. And groupies are willing to stoop to the level of hanging out or hooking up with roadies and other people that work with the band, just to get closer to them. Groupies walk a thin line with stalkers. (for a prime example of a groupie, see Kate Hudson's character in "Almost Famous")
A fan is none of the above. They just love the music. They don't need to feel an emotional or physical connection with bandmembers (or roadies, or anyone else with the band).
I think the mom has a tough time understanding why I love going to concerts and listening to music so much. And I don't really know how to explain it. It's just something I enjoy. She has her sewing thing, I have my music thing!
Now that I've made that clarification, let me say that the two Avett Brothers shows were great. Although I really hate the HOB in Myrtle Beach and all the rude people that hang-out there, all-in-all, it was a good time. Between the two sets, almost all of my favorites were played. One of the great things about the Avett Brothers is that they have so many songs (and so many good songs!) that they can play two nights back-to-back without repeating any. I think only 2 or 3 songs were played both sets. I had a great time and can't wait to see them again in Charlotte!
I was able to sneak my camera in to Saturday's show and have some good pictures of the show...I will post them soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am enlightened...thanks ever-so-much! And I love, love, love your new backgroud!
ReplyDelete