Friday, May 22, 2009

I hate Mondays.

You know the Carpenter's song "Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down"...story of my life! (although rainy days during the summer are usually tolerable) Monday this week was especially horrible. My car was broken into while I was at work. According to the responding officer, a number of break-ins have occurred in the downtown Durham area. Three cars in the employee lot were hit, and the guilty party made off with some pretty good loot. They got my iPod and my GPS. They also did some major damage to my center dash/console trying to remove my stereo. But they couldn't get it out! HA! (I take pleasure in possibility that my little stereo really pissed-off the jerk trying to steal it!). Of course, they broke my driver-side window to get in. Check out the pics:




So I learned a few things from this experience. First (and most obvious), don't leave things like iPods in your car. Even though mine was closed up in my glovebox, the guy got lucky--went in for my stereo and got a bonus of an iPod and GPS. If you have to leave such items in your car, lock them in the glovebox and keep all the serial numbers in a handy place! That way, they can be found if a thief tries to sale them at a pawn shop (Apple/iPod will also put a "flag" on your account so if anyone goes into an Apple store or tries to get customer service w/ your S/N they will notify the authorities!) Also, lock your trunk-pop, or set it to the "valet" lock (nothing valuable in my trunk, but the jerk still went through it). And lastly, keep your car washed and clean--it is easier and more likely that a forensics team will be able to lift prints from a clean car!

I had my window fixed on Wednesday and the insurance company is sending me a new faceplate for my stereo. I'll take my car in next week to get the dash fixed. I'd like to say a big "Thanks!" to the Kemper insurance folks, they are awesome! (And to my super-step dad for keeping me and my car on his insurance even though I seem to attract car issues...)

So now I hate Mondays even more. Thank goodness it's Friday! And thank goodness that next Monday is a holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment