As you may know from the info in the right margin, I am currently reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. And I am LOVING it. If you have just the slightest interest in anything sciencey, or if you want to become more knowledgeable in sciencey stuff, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's the kind of book where you highlight funny or interesting passages (I did that yesterday and one of my research participants asked me if I was reading the book for a class...I had to admit that I'm just a big nerd who reads for pleasure and takes notes in the margins).
Bryson also wrote a book, "In a Sunburned Country" from his travels Down Under which includes a great history of Australia. Since I spent time in Oz during college, I found it quite enjoyable.
He has a great writing style that makes me smile, and you actually learn a lot. It's the kind of knowledge that sticks with you and would allow you to kick Ken Jennings' butt on Jeopardy (have I ever mentioned how much I dislike him?)...
Next on my reading list will probably be Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" which covers the Appalachian Trail. *hint hint Santa* I recommend you add any of his works to your reading list, too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment