Monday, November 16, 2009

Holiday Soapbox

I've noticed this past week that there is already Christmas 'stuff' lining the shelves at stores. And today, I saw the Christmas Tree lot opening. I refuse to turn on the radio, because I heard there is already Christmas music being played.


Seriously?


I mean, I love Christmas. It's a beautiful holiday with all the decorations and pretty presents. It's a wonderful time of year because you see family and friends and eat (a lot of!) wonderful food. But I think the whole magic of the holiday is lost when you drag it out for 2 whole months. Come Christmas Eve, I'm usually sick of it all. Not to mention that with the commercialism of the holiday, most people have completely lost the true meaning behind Christmas. Even if you're not a particularly religious person, this holiday should be celebrated as a time to be with the ones you love, not a time for you to spend money that you don't have on stuff that you don't need just so there are gifts under the tree. Honestly, I'd rather give and receive nice "surcies" throughout the year and totally scale-down during the holidays (yes family, feel free to skip me on your Christmas list...I won't be offended).


I will admit, though, there is one good thing that comes with stretching the Christmas holiday across two months...mmmm....


1 comment:

  1. YOU GOT IT! YOU'RE OFF OUR LIST! (Does it matter that we don't really have a list and therefore no one else is really on it either?)

    ReplyDelete